Pupil Premium

Pupil Premium

What is it?

The Pupil Premium Grant is government money designed to help disadvantaged children and young people do well at school. The funding is allocated to schools for children from Reception to Year 11 who have registered for free school meals in the last six years. It is also for children who are in care or who have parents in the Armed Forces.


How is the money spent?

Some children may need financial help so that they can take part in school trips, have music lessons, attend sports clubs and other activities. They may need additional PE clothing, school equipment or items of uniform providing.

Some children who are behind in reading or spelling or maths will be given additional support either 1 to 1 or in small groups. These are called intervention programmes. Part of the salary of staff who support children who receive the Pupil Premium grant is paid for from the grant school receives.

Some children may need help with their social interaction and may attend social skills groups, nurture groups or enrichment groups. Part of the salary of staff who support children who receive the Pupil Premium grant is paid for from the grant school receives. Miss Smith is our key member of staff for children who need support in this area.

Some of the grant is also spent on training members of staff to carry out these additional activities to ensure they are up-to-date with the latest knowledge.

How will you as parents/carers know it is working?

The progress of all children is tracked each half term so we can quickly see if a child is not making the expected amount of progress and put support in place.

If your child takes part in an intervention programme, we record their levels at the start and end of the programme so we can measure the difference.

Where can I get more information?

Your child’s progress is reported at Parent’s Evening meetings but please get in touch with school whenever you feel you would like additional information. Please speak first to your child’s class teacher or to Mr Litten who has overall responsibility for monitoring the progress of children who receive the Pupil Premium grant.

Can my child receive the pupil premium money?

If you receive any of the following benefits, your child may be eligible:


 If you are in receipt of Income Support
 Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
 Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
 Support under Part IV of the Immigration & Asylum Act
 Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, if your annual income does not exceed £16,190
 Guarantee element of state pension credit

What should I do if I think my child can receive the pupil premium grant?

Call in at the school office
 Email the school office on office@parklane.cambs.sch.uk
 Ring the school office on 01733 203433
 Ring 01223 703 200 (the local authority helpline for Free School Meals))
 Email: ewb.fsm@cambridgeshire.gov.uk

The best way to find out more is to speak to one of our office staff. They will speak to you in confidence and give you a very simple sheet to complete. If you think your child/children may be entitled to receive the Pupil Premium Grant then what have you got to lose? Pop in to the office at any time and collect a form.